The International Association of Advisors in Philanthropy (AiP) recognized annually an individual with a distinguished career in service to the philanthropic community. Awardees werechosen for their efforts to uphold the standards of excellence in ethics, service and charitable planning encouraged by the Association.
Named after the late Scott Fithian, one of the founding members and leaders of this organization whose passion for Philanthropic Advising continues to be highly recognized., the Fithian Leadership Award is the highest recognition awarded by the Association.
To nominate someone for this award, submit a letter including the nominee’s professional biography and specifically how they have elevated the profession of philanthropic planning beyond their own practice. Specific examples could include:
- Service to an industry organization that promotes philanthropic planning
- Providing education to other advisors, foundation executives and/or the general public on philanthropic planning strategies
- Encouraging other professional advisors to incorporate philanthropic planning into their practice
- Providing a forum for professional advisors from different arenas to share knowledge and ideas.
- Creating new and/or expanding on the body of knowledge of philanthropy and philanthropic planning.
Any individual who is an active, professional philanthropic advisor is eligible for the award. Membership in AiP is not a pre-requisite, though ability to attend the award ceremony at the AiP annual conference is a consideration.
Nominations are accepted annually from active members of AiP. Nominators write a brief biographical description of the nominee, detailing the nominee’s work portfolio and detailing the contributions they have made to the field of philanthropy services.
Nominations are to be sent to AiP for consideration by the selection committee. The committee reviews each nominee and selects a winner on a majority vote.
Past Fithian Award Recipients
2018: Jerry Nuerge, CAP®, CLU®, ChFC®, CFWC, RIA
2017: Alan Pratt, CEP, CAP
2016: Les Winston, CAP®
2015: Randy Fox, CGRC, PGDC
2014: John A Warnick
2013: Sally Alspaugh, CAP®
2012: Phil Cubeta, CAP®
2012: Charles Collier
2011: Joseph Selvaggio
2010: Johnne Syverson
2009: Barbara Culver
2008: Paul G. Schervish, PhD